On Dec. 31, 1900, the world stood at the threshold of the 20th century.
The winning essay in The Daily Progress essay contest, prompting writers to respond to “What’s Good About America,” was printed in the Dec. 30, 1979 issue.
An article that appeared in the Dec. 28, 1959 edition of The Daily Progress heralded the demise of the building that housed the Lafayette Theater.
The Grand Illumination of Charlottesville’s community Christmas tree usually takes place on the Friday after Thanksgiving, kicking off the holiday season. Charlottesville’s first community Christmas tree illumination almost didn’t happen in 1915. A few days before Christmas, The Daily Progre…
In the Dec. 26, 1997 issue of The Daily Progress, the paper highlighted the many traditions associated with Kwanzaa.
Merry Christmas! The Daily Progress did not publish on Christmas Day until the 1970s. The 1929 Christmas Eve editorial eloquently captured the timeless sensation of coming home for the holidays.
Like many newspapers across the country, The Daily Progress has shared the iconic 1897 letter to the editor of The New York Sun from Miss Virginia O’Hanlon, many times over the years. It is only fitting that we share it again from our Dec. 24, 1911 issue.
The Dec. 23, 1900 Daily Progress shared a comical account of Christmas party crashing from a few years earlier. It seems an eccentric Irishman claiming noble descent of the Irish Peerage, who went by the name of St. George Evans, immigrated to Central Virginia in the 1890’s and set about the…
The Christmas shopping and shipping season was much shorter in 1925 than it is today.
Christmas caroling was a community fundraising effort in 1920.
The Superior Stone company at Red Hill spent nine months in 1952 preparing for an explosion of monumental proportions.
Central Virginia was in the grip of an ice storm on this day in 1905.
The Dec. 18, 1901 issue of The Daily Progress shared the story of an obscure character who made Monticello his home
More than 50 Central Virginia farmers on their tractors descended on Charlottesville on this day in 1977 to protest the 1977 Farm Bill.
President George H.W. Bush observed the 200th anniversary of the Bill of Rights during a special ceremony at James Madison’s Montpelier on this day in 1991.
On this day in 1937, Otto Frederick Ostergren, a Richmond Jeweler, made extensive repairs to Thomas Jefferson’s famous one-of-a-kind seven-day clock that graces the eastern portico of Monticello, allowing the timepiece to operate properly for the first time in more than 80 years.
Hanukkah of 1998 prompted Congregation Beth Israel to open their doors to the community to share with them the tradition of the Festival of Lights.
Charlottesville’s first public housing project, Westhaven, was dedicated by then-Mayor Lindsay B. Mount on this day in 1964.
‘Follow the Constitution-Separate church from state! Signed, Sincerely, The Hairy Dumb Guys.’
The tots of the city have been minding their p’s and q’s, writing letters to Santa Claus and in general conducting themselves with a decorum unusual.
A candlelight vigil for slain Beatles band member John Lennon was held at the University of Virginia Chapel on this day in 1980.
After 44 years of service as the deputy clerk of Charlottesville’s Corporation Court, 76 year-old Miss Lizzie Ann Flannigan announced her retirement.
An article in the Dec. 8, 1957 edition of The Daily Progress heralded the beginning of the annual Salvation Army Red Kettle fundraiser.
Dec. 7, 1941: “A date that will live in infamy.” The bombing of Pearl Harbor signaled the United States’ official entry into World War II.
Dec. 6, 1924 was a particularly busy day for the officers of the Charlottesville Police Department, as evidenced by the unusually large crowd of offenders that were brought before Judge C. D. Shackleford.
The Dec. 5, 1916 edition of The Daily Progress announced the impending nuptials of the Rev. Sir Genille Cave-Brown-Cave, formerly of London, to Miss Florence Boltwood, of Esmont.
Yolanda King and Attallah Shabazz, daughters of slain civil rights leaders Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X, spoke at the University of Virginia on this day in 1986.
Two years earlier, Woods had gained fame when she appeared on the cover of Alexander Black’s book, “Miss America; Pen and Camera Sketches of the American Girl.”
The Chesapeake and Ohio steam turbine-electric locomotive No. 500, touted as the world’s largest locomotive at the time, and capable of speeds up to 100 mph, pulled into Charlottesville’s Main Street station on this day in 1947.
The Daily Progress opened its doors to the people of Charlottesville at its new state-of-the art publishing facility at 401-403 E. Market St. on this day in 1956.
More than 20,000 visitors descended on Charlottesville on this day in 1928 to witness the football rivalry between the University of Virginia and the University of North Carolina.
Anna Anderson spent a good portion of her life defending her claim that she was the Grand Duchess Anastasia, daughter of Czar Nicholas II of Russia
In 1947, the United States was taking a more visible role in world affairs and experiencing great post-war prosperity.
Youth football organizations took shape early in Central Virginia. On this day in 1929, The Daily Progress reported that “The Fives, the midget team of boys from Charlottesville, will end their regular season’s schedule tomorrow afternoon on Lambeth Field against the midget team of Virginia …
The Daily Progress Santa Fund kicks off its annual donation drive today.
In a dark, dusty storage room in the basement of Clark Hall, a relic of University of Virginia history thought to have been destroyed in the Rotunda fire of 1895 was discovered on this day in 1964.
“The occasion was indeed an appropriate epitaph for a house that had brought Charlottesville so much pleasure.”
Traditional celebrations were in an uproar that year as President Franklin Delano Roosevelt set the federal observance of the holiday on the second to last Thursday of November, instead of the last Thursday of November, the traditional observance since the 1860s. The media dubbed the new holiday “Franksgiving.”
After landing on the roof of one of the stores, the jolly old elf and his sleigh were hoisted by crane to the parking lot.
The man tucked the pistol into his belt and ran out of the courthouse.
On this day in 1949, The Daily Progress reported on the latest technology to be implemented in Charlottesville.
A traveling evangelist took an unplanned journey on this day in 1910 when certain citizens of Albemarle County made it known that his message was not appreciated.
On this day in 1953, The Daily Progress shared the story of Albemarle County High School’s oldest student - and her daughter.
The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation on this date in 1928 held an auction of furnishings that were part of the estate when purchased from Jefferson Monroe Levy in 1923.
An article that appeared in the Nov. 15, 1913 edition of The Daily Progress provided a detailed accounting of Albemarle County Schools.
On this day in 1935, three-fourths of the University of Virginia Hospital’s supply of radium, a highly radio-active compound, which had gone missing was recovered in a trash can.
Charlottesville’s Downtown Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on this day in 1982.
“Thomas Staples Martin, Senior Senator from Virginia in the national Congress, has succumbed to the Grim Reaper, Death.”
“At the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month” of 1918, the armistice between the Allies and Germany was signed, bringing about an effective end to World War I.
On this day in 1938, annexation proceedings brought by Charlottesville against Albemarle County were approved, which meant, “Charlottesville’s population was greater by approximately 2,200 persons and its area increased by an additional 1,348 acres,” according to The Progress.