The FBI is trying to identify individuals spotted with James A. Fields Jr. before his car rammed into a crowd of protesters Aug. 12.

Two sources have confirmed that FBI officials recently spoke with workers at the Shell Station on Preston Avenue and reviewed video footage taken from the gas station. The footage allegedly shows Fields with an unknown number of people not long before 1:40 p.m. on Saturday, the recorded time of the fatal crash. The FBI is working to identify the people with Fields, the sources said.

When reached, an FBI spokeswoman said she could not discuss or confirm anything related to the investigation.

An employee of Reid's Super-Save Market said he could not comment on whether FBI officials had visited the store, which is across the street from the Shell Station.

An employee of the Wendy's on the corner of Preston Avenue and Fourth Street Northwest said the restaurant had been visited by FBI officials, as well. While the Wendy's does not have exterior cameras facing Preston Avenue, the employee said she gave FBI officials descriptions of a group of men she described as "neo-Nazis" who had "jumped" a man in the Wendy's parking lot at some point before the fatal car crash.

The employee said neo-Nazis had assaulted a man with their flags, and that FBI officials were attempting to identify them. She said she did not recall seeing Fields among the group.

Employees at other area stores contacted said they had not been contacted by the FBI.

The FBI and federal prosecutors announced on the night of Aug. 12 that they would be opening a civil rights investigation into the death of 32-year-old Heather Heyer.

Fields initially was charged with second degree murder, three counts of malicious wounding and failure to stop in an accident that resulted in death in the attack that killed Heyer and injured 19 others when the Dodge Challenger belonging to Fields plowed into a crowd of anti-racist protesters in the aftermath of Aug. 12's Unite the Right rally.

On Friday, city police charged Fields with five additional felonies. According to a news release from police, Fields now faces two additional counts of malicious wounding and three counts of aggravated malicious wounding.

"The victims related to these charges suffered serious injuries and in some cases permanent physical disabilities," Lt. Steve Upman said in the release.

The rally, scheduled to begin at noon that day at the statue of Gen. Robert E. Lee in Emancipation Park, devolved into chaos before it even began as police declared the scene an unlawful assembly in the face of growing aggression between the white nationalist demonstrators and anti-racist protesters.

Protesters on both sides continued to flood the streets in the hours after the scrapped rally, with verbal and physical scuffles breaking out at various points around the city.

Upman said police are still investigating the "egregious assault" of Deandre Shakur Harris, a young man who sustained a head wound in the aftermath of the failed rally.

The violence turned fatal when Fields' grey Dodge Challenger slammed into a group of people on Fourth Street Southeast.

The driver reversed out of the scene and fled, and Fields was captured by police not far from downtown. He remains in custody without bond; his next court hearing is set for Aug. 25.

Three others were arrested in connection to Saturday's violence. A 21-year-old Tennessee man was charged with disorderly conduct, a 44-year-old Florida man was charged with carrying a concealed handgun; and Jacob L. Smith, 21, of Louisa, was charged with misdemeanor assault and battery.

It is unclear whether authorities intend to make any other arrests in connection to the events of Aug. 12.

Fields, along with Unite the Right organizer Jason Kessler and prominent white supremacist Richard Spencer, are each named as defendants in a $3 million lawsuit filed by two people injured in the Fourth Street crash. The two plaintiffs, who said they were not associated with the protest that day, were in the vehicle that Fields' cardrove into.

City police have repeatedly said that Fourth Street was not supposed to be open at that time. Authorities have said they are still investigating how the street was opened and why vehicles were directed toward it.

Get Breaking News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
Load comments