Student entrepreneurs and leaders will be featured at the first Tom Tom Founders Festival Youth Summit in April.

The summit — scheduled for April 14 at the Paramount Theater — will be a day of talks and competitions focusing on business and creative ideas generated by young people.

Most of the planners and participants are under 25, including students from local high schools, the University of Virginia and the Charlottesville Albemarle Technical Education Center.

The following speakers are planned:

Nikhil Goyal, 20-year-old author of "Schools on Trial: How Freedom and Creativity Can Fix Our Educational Malpractice;"

LeiLei Secor, a second-year UVa student who runs an online jewelry business through the website Etsy;

Wes Bellamy, Charlottesville city councilor and founder of a boxing and mentorship program called Helping Young People Evolve;

Daniel Wilson, founder and former director of the UVa student publication The Pioneer; and

Alyssa Dizon, founding member and former managing director of the UVa startup community Hack Cville.

Attendees also will have the chance to compete for cash prizes by pitching business and community service ideas.

Tickets are $25 and include a brown-bag lunch. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit tomtomfest.com/events/youthsummit.

Get Breaking News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.
Load comments